letter excerpt The Dix Family Archive
The Clemens

William Bordley (15xx)
William Bordley (1605)
Stephen Bordley, Sr. (1637)
John Hynson (1645)
William Bordley (1667)
Stephen Bordley, Jr. (1674)
Thomas Bordley (1677)
Stephen Bordley (1709)
John B. Bordley (1727)
Stephen Bordley "Jr" (1732)
Judge James Bordley (1736)
Elizabeth Bordley (1777)
John B. Bordley (1800)
William C. Bordley, Jr. (1800)
James Bordley (1808)
James Bordley (1846)
Madison B. Bordley (1873)
James Bordley, Jr. (1874)
James Bordley, III (1900)
John E. Bordley (1902)
Bryden Bordley Hyde (1914)
Madison B. Bordley, Jr. (1915)
Marcello W. Bordley, Jr. (1915)
Robert AJ Bordley (1918)
Dr. James Bordley, IV (1942)

 Rev. Stephen Bordley, Jr. (1674-1709)

He was the son of Rev. Stephen Bordley Sr. (1637-1695) Rector of St. Mary’s Newington, Surrey, England and Margaret Colston (c.1640-1720) of Wm. of Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, his wife. Admitted sizar (age 17) at Christ’s College, Cambridge 12 Nov. 1690. (Venn’s Alumni Cantabrigiensis states he went to Sedbergh School). He matriculated 1690; Scholar 1690; B.A. 1694-5; he was ordained deacon in London 22 Sept 1695; priest 20 Sept. 1696 after which he was sent by Henry (Compton) Bishop of London to Maryland and assigned to St. Pauls, Fairlee, Kent County. He there met and married Ann Hynson in 1700. She was the daughter of Col. John Hynson (c.1645-1705) of Kent Co. Md. They had five children: Margaret (1702- ); Anne (1703- ); Thomas (1704-52) =1. Mary Smithers 1709 and had issue; =2. Anne Miller of Arthur of Michael of "Arcadia" and had issue; Mary (1707-29) = Elias Ringgold (1702-1734) of "Huntingfield", Kent Co.; Stephen Bordley, Jr. (1709-1771, or 1776?) of Kent, lawyer in Queen Anne’s and Balto. Counties. By his 1st wife Priscilla Murphy of James ( -1742) they had four children; by his second wife Sarah Harris of James who d. 1768 they had no issue.

Wright’s Hist. of the Eastern Shore and H.D. Richardson’s Side Lights on Md. Hist. mention the inventory of his estate in 1709 which included two sermons preached before the King, and the fact that he had a large library. He was given "Bounty" 100a. between Rock Hall and St. Pauls by his father-in-law, but he lived at "Kindness" which passed to his descendants. He was probably buried at the first site of St. Pauls near Grey’s Inn Creek as the present church was not built until 1713. Portraits of him and his 1st wife were seen by Dr. James Bordley who tried to buy them, but they were later sold to a dealer in N.Y. City and lost forever.


Copyright 2002 Gabriel Brooke, (website). Transcription and editing: John Thomas, (website). Design and production: Marc Kundmann, (website).