Letter from W.A.Tennille (?) to Chancellor Hill
of envelope from:]
University of Georgia
Mr. Wm. A.
77 Carnegie Ave.
E. Orange, N.J.
March 13 [?]
1901 12:30 pm
Mar 15 1901 6-30A
Sending answers to circular
writing of dates and locations]
sheet, two-sided, handwritten, undated, source and author unknown, in
poor condition, ripped:]
2. New Jersey, Essex County, East Orange
77 Carnegie Avenue
3. Washington County Georgia July 3rd 1840
4. 1856 First term freshman class.
5. First medal for declamation
Sophomore class 1858 + a speaker in Junior class at Commencement May 1859
6. Phi Kappa
7. 1860 Degree of A.B.
8. One term 1860 at the Law School under Judge Jon Henry Lumpkin, Genl
[sp.?] T.R.R Cobb + Hon. Hope Hall
[missing text] Married in N.Y. City in 1890 to Clara Tuttle a daughter
of Geo H. Tuttle
[missing text] For twenty five years a resident [of] NY City - A cotton
merchant + a member of the N.Y. Cotton Exchange
Retired from active business in 1895 + has since resided in East Orange
N.J. a beautiful little city of 20,000 inhabitants 12 miles from New York.
13. [?] In April 1861 entered the Confederate service as Lieutenant in
Company D 9th Georgia Regiment acted as Adjutant of that regiment for
some time previous to the battle of Gettysburg. Was promoted at that battle
by Gen. G. T. Anderson to the position of Capt. and A.A. + [?] Genl on
his staff. Served in that capacity position until within a few months
of the close of the war, when my health failing, was retired and assigned
to duty with Genl. Howell Cobb [?] at Macon Georgia. Was there when the
city was surrendered to Genl. Wilson.
14. Occasional articles of a [missing text] nature to a New York Journal
15. Am a member of the New York Society of the sons of the Revolution.
My grandfather Col. Francis Tennille (one of the first settlers of Washington
Co. Georgia) having been a Captain in the Georgia Brigade of the continental
line and my great grandfather John Jordan having been a soldier in a Va
artillery co. fought in the defense of Savannah. Both came from Va &
settled in the same county in Georgia.
on images o enlarge ]